Green Enchiladas Chicken Soup (Keto Slow Cooker Mexican Soup), with a creamy broth of green enchiladas sauce, salsa verde, cheeses, and tender shredded chicken, you can’t go wrong with this recipe. Perfect for those busy nights!
This Mexican soup recipe is keto and low carb friendly, which will make everyone happy! This recipe can be made on a stovetop or in an Instant Pot.
A Tasty Bowl of Green Enchiladas Chicken Soup | Seeking Good EatsJump to:
️ Slow Cooker Chicken Chili Verde Soup!
Everyone Will Love
Everyone in our family loves this soup. Because we are a household of five and some like it spicy, and some don’t, I can customize it so that everyone will eat.
I start by making it mild, which is how the recipe is written below. Those who like it hot can add more salsa or green chili sauce. It is challenging to remove spicy heat, so start with mild.
I used a chunky green salsa in this recipe, but I have one child who won’t eat onions – and definitely wouldn’t eat anything green and chunky. If he were eating this, I would opt for a green salsa with no chunks! As long as there are no chunks, he would eat.
Tasty Soup Recipe
Both creamy and zesty, it tastes just like chicken enchiladas – only better! As I mentioned above, start with mild, and each person can build their heat with a green hot sauce or additional green salsa.
Easy Mexican Soup
An easy Mexican soup recipe for creamy chicken enchilada soup (slow cooker) is just the ticket! To get the soup cooking, you literally dump your chicken, soup, and sauce in and cook all day. Later, you add the half and half and cheeses to melt. So easy
Low Carb and Keto Soup
This is a creamy chicken enchilada soup. I added the half and half and cheeses to add the necessary fat as I am following a keto diet. There are no added carbs or tortillas in this soup, so it is also considered low carb. You could also use heavy cream instead of half and half.
fat 19.7g | net carbs 5.5g | protein 30.8g
Mexican Crockpot Meals
Our family loves Mexican food, and having a Mexican Crockpot Meal is the perfect solution for cooking on a busy weeknight!
Ingredients and Tools
Here is what you will need to make creamy chicken enchilada soup in your slow cooker or Instant Pot:
- Chicken breasts or thighs
- Green enchilada sauce – use 1 recipe of our homemade green enchilada sauce (it’s so delicious and easy to make) or a 28 oz can of store-bought!
- Chicken broth
- Half and half (or heavy cream)
- Monterey jack cheese
- Cream cheese, cubed and softened
- Green salsa (salsa verde)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional garnish: avocado, green onion, sour cream, cilantro
How To Make Keto Green Enchiladas Chicken Soup (Keto Slow Cooker Mexican Soup)
- In a 6-quart slow cooker, add chicken breast or thighs, green enchilada sauce, and chicken broth. Cook on Low 6 to 8 hours.
- Remove chicken and shred.
- Add half and half, jack cheese, cream cheese, and green salsa. Turn the crockpot to warm and stir until the cheeses are melted.
- Add chicken back to the pot.
- Use hot sauce or additional salsa to taste. Delicious topped with avocado, cilantro, green onion, and sour cream. Serve and enjoy!
How to Make Slow Cooker Green Enchiladas Chicken Soup | Seeking Good Eats
Taking a Bite of Green Enchiladas Chicken Soup | Seeking Good Eats
- To add heat, use more green salsa or a green chili hot sauce.
- Make sure your cream cheese is very soft before adding it to the soup. Cold cream cheese will not melt very well. You can even soften it in the microwave before adding it to the soup.
- For best “meltability” (yes, I made up a new word), always grate your own cheese. Pre-packaged grated cheese is coated in potato starch, which helps prevent sticking in the package. Unfortunately, this also keeps it from melting very well.
Can I make this soup in an Instant Pot?
Yes. Here’s how to make Instant Pot Green Enchilada Chicken Soup:
Cook your chicken on high pressure with 1 cup of broth for 8 minutes. Do a quick release after 10 minutes. Remove chicken and shred. Set pot to saute medium, and add remaining broth, shredded chicken, green enchilada sauce, salsa, and heat until warm. Add cheese and remaining ingredients. Stir until cheese is melted. Season with salt and pepper if needed. Enjoy!
Can I make green enchiladas soup on my stovetop?
Yes! Here’s how to make Green Enchiladas Chicken Soup on your stovetop:
In a large stockpot, add chicken and broth. Simmer until the chicken is done and can easily be pulled apart. Remove chicken and shred. Add shredded chicken, enchilada sauce, half and half, jack cheese, cream cheese, and green salsa to the pot. Stir and heat soup until it is warm and the cheese is melted. Season with salt and pepper if needed. Serve with additional green salsa, hot sauce, and sour cream on the side. Enjoy!
What is the difference between green enchilada sauce and red enchilada sauce?
Red enchilada sauce is made with red tomatoes, red chili peppers, onions, and other spices. Green enchilada sauce is made with green chili peppers and green tomatillos, onion, and other seasonings.
Can I freeze this soup?
Yes. This soup can be frozen for up to 3 months in a freezer-safe, airtight container. Thaw in the refrigerator and reheat slow. Fats from the dairy may become separated; add additional milk or cream as needed.
What is green enchilada sauce made of?
Typically green enchilada sauce is made of spicy and mild green chili peppers, tomatillos, onion, garlic, cumin, and other seasonings.
Can I lower the fat in this recipe?
Yes. You can use fat-free half and half and you can reduce the cheese to 1 cup without sacrificing taste.
How can I increase the fat in this recipe?
Adding olive oil and additional cheese will increase the fat in this recipe. You can also use heavy cream in place of half and half. Topping the soup with avocado and sour cream will also increase the fat.
- 2.5 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- 1 recipe Seeking Good Eats Green Enchilada Sauce or 1 (28 oz) can green enchilada sauce
- 24 oz chicken broth
- 1 cup half and half or heavy cream
- 2 cup Monterey jack cheese
- 4 oz cream cheese, cubed at room temperature (or softened)
- 4 oz green salsa (salsa verde)
- salt and pepper to taste
Slow Cooker Instructions:
- In a 6-quart slow cooker add chicken breast or thighs, green enchilada sauce, and chicken broth. Cook on Low 6 to 8 hours.
- Remove chicken and shred. Add shredded chicken, jack cheese, cream cheese, half and half, and green salsa to slow cooker. Turn slow cooker to warm and stir until cheeses are melted. Add hot sauce or additional salsa to taste.
- Serve and enjoy! Delicious topped with avocado, cilantro, green onion, and sour cream.
Instant Pot Instructions:
- Cook your chicken on high pressure with 1 cup of broth for 8 minutes. Do a quick release after 10 minutes. Remove chicken and shred.
- Set pot to saute medium, and add remaining broth, shredded chicken, green enchilada sauce, salsa, and heat until warm. Add cheese and remaining ingredients. Stir until cheese is melted. Season with salt and pepper if needed.
- In a large stockpot, add chicken and broth. Simmer until chicken is done and can easily be pulled apart. Remove chicken and shred.
- Add shredded chicken, enchilada sauce, half and half, jack cheese, cream cheese, and green salsa to the pot. Stir and heat soup until it is warm and the cheese is melted. Season with salt and pepper if needed. Serve with additional green salsa, hot sauce, and sour cream on the side. Enjoy!
- This recipe makes a mild to medium spice soup. To add spice, use additional green salsa or a green chili hot sauce or diced jalapenos.
- Make sure your cream cheese is softened before adding it to the soup.
- MUST TRY: Be sure to try our new homemade Green Enchilada Sauce Recipe – it’s easy and delicious!
- VARIATIONS: Feel free to add diced vegetables such as mushrooms, zucchini, bell peppers, or onions. Add jalapeno pepper if you like more heat. You can also add black beans, white beans, or corn. So many possibilities!
Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 346Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 130mgSodium: 962mgCarbohydrates: 7gNet Carbohydrates: 6gFiber: 1gSugar: 4gProtein: 39g
DISCLAIMER: Any changes to this recipe could change the nutrition facts. Nutrition facts are provided as a reference only and are calculated to the best of our ability using Nutritionix. If you are concerned, always calculate your own nutritional analysis. The information provided on Seeking Good Eats is for informational use only and we are not liable for how that information is used. The information provided by Seeking Good Eats is not a substitute for professional medical advice or treatment for specific medical conditions. You should not use this information to diagnose or treat a health problem without consulting a qualified healthcare provider.
We’d LOVE for you to help us share this recipe! Here’s how:
Review and Comment on This Recipe
We love reviews! Please leave any questions and comments below and don’t forget to review our dish!
Share Your Photos
Show us what a star chef you are! Take photos of this dish and share them! We’d LOVE to see them!
Upload a photo of this dish to our Pinterest pin
tag @seekinggoodeats and hashtag it #seekinggoodeats
Pin our Pin
Share our pin and pin on Pinterest!
Creamy green enchiladas chicken soup is so tasty and easy to make in your Instant Pot or crockpot. Keto slow cooker Mexican soup is the perfect weeknight dinner recipe. Easily adapted Instant Pot recipe so you’ve got even more options. A perfect Mexican recipe for taco Tuesdays! The best keto soup! #keto #mexican #soup #tacotuesday #slowcooker #crockpot #lowcarb #sugarfree #healthychicken #instantpot #chicken #chickensoup #dinneridea #healthyrecipe #enchiladas #souprecipe #easyrecipe